Carer information and support > Other community care and help

Other community care and help

There are various agencies involved in providing community care including: your local social work (or social care / social services) department, the NHS, private and voluntary organisations and your local council's housing and education departments.

All these professionals are there to advise you on what services are available and to help you adapt your home / lifestyle if necessary.

Local services may vary depending on where you live in Scotland. There may also be a charge for some services, depending on your circumstances.

Carers assessment

If the person you care for is eligible for an assessment of their care needs, and you provide a substantial part of their care, you have a right to a separate assessment of your own needs under the Carers (Recognition and Services) Act 1995.

The Carers Act does not give carers the right to services for themselves. But it does mean that carers can ask for their views, and any needs or difficulties in coping with caring, to be taken into account when deciding what services will be provided for the person needing care.

Some social services departments do offer specific support to carers, but what is available varies from area to area.

Back to top

Help provided by your local social work department

Each local council has a social work department (sometimes called social care or social services) which has a major responsibility for organising / coordinating community care services. These services can help the person you care for live as independently as possible at home and can include:

  • Help and advice about personal care, e.g. dressing, washing
  • Help with the housework
  • Help with the shopping
  • Help with meals
  • Lunch clubs
  • Day care
  • Sitter services / care attendants
  • Respite care to give you a break
  • Advice about transport
  • Advice about finding alternative housing options, e.g. supported accommodation and care homes
  • Advice about alarm sytems
  • Advice about equipment and housing adaptations, e.g. wheelchairs, ramps, stair lifts.
Back to top

Help provided by your GP’s surgery

Your GP’s surgery will have a team of nurses (including a Practice Nurse, HealthVisitor, District Nurse and Health Care Assistant) who can also help. You can make an appointment with the Practice Nurse yourself, but you will need to ask your GP to refer you to the district nursing or health visiting services.

Mobile services

There are many additional services that can be provided in your own home. For example:

  • Dental visits
  • Eye examinations
  • Hairdressers
  • Chiropodists.

To find out what is available locally try looking online, in the Yellow Pages or phone NHS inform: 0800 224488.

Back to top


Wheelchairs are a special provision that are usually funded by the NHS although more complex outdoor and motorised wheelchairs often have to be self-funded. It is important that the correct chair and cushion are prescribed for your partner’s needs. If you buy one independently, make sure you and your partner can use it. Remember it has to fit through the internal doors of your house and you may have to use ramps.


Contact your local council offices for information about travel concessions and disabled parking for your area (e.g. the Blue Badge Parking Scheme).

Back to top

Useful contacts

Self-Directed Support in Scotland: information about Self-Directed Support for people who use social care services.

Care Information Scotland: a telephone and website service providing information about care services for older people living in Scotland.

Assist UK: leads a UK wide network of locally-situated Disabled Living Centres. Most centres include a permanent exhibition of products and equipment that provides you with opportunities to see and try products and equipment and get information and advice from professional staff about what might suit you best.

Back to top