Stroke Information and Support > Adjusting to life after stroke > Driving and getting around after stroke

Driving and getting around after stroke

After a stroke your ability to drive safely can be affected in various ways including physical or visual impairment, or difficultly concentrating.

Who do I need to tell that I have had a stroke?

You do not usually need to tell the DVLA if you have had a single TIA or stroke. However, you do need to let them know if:

  • You have had more than one recent stroke or TIA
  • You are having problems such as weakness of the arms or legs, visual disturbance, or problems with
    co-ordination, memory or understanding
  • You have had any kind of seizure
  • You needed brain surgery as part of the treatment for your stroke
  • You hold a current Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) or Passenger Carrying Vehicle (PCV) (Group 2)
    driving licence.

Your GP will be able to advise you if you are not sure whether you should inform the DVLA that you have had a stroke or TIA.

It is important to tell your car insurance company that you have had a stroke to make sure that your policy remains valid.

How can I get a Blue Badge?

If your mobility is limited you may be entitled to apply for a disabled parking permit (Blue Badge). The Blue Badge scheme allows severely disabled people (travelling as a driver or passenger) to park in certain restricted areas, so that you can get closer to where you need to go. To find out more or to apply for a Blue Badge if you live in Scotland, go to the government website or contact your local authority.

What if I can't drive?

If you are not able to drive, some local councils provide community transport schemes. You may also be eligible for a National Entitlement Card (bus pass). This will allow you to travel free on most bus services and on many longer journeys between Scottish cities. To find out more about this, and help with other forms of transport, go to