Stroke Core Competencies
Stroke Core Competencies for Healthcare Staff
In 2003 the National Advisory Committee for Stroke (NACS) commissioned NHS Education for Scotland (NES) to produce a set of core competencies for staff working with people affected by stroke.
The Stroke Core Competencies for Healthcare Staff document was launched in 2005 and is available in 2 formats:
- A6 Booklet: see Related Documents
- A2 Poster
Both publications are available, free of charge, from the CHSS publications department at email@example.com.
Project: 'An Evaluation of the Competency Framework for Stroke'
In July 2006 NES funded the above 2 year part time project to investigate the implementation of the Stroke Core Competencies document.
- investigate the dissemination and usage of the document
- evaluate the CHSS Introductory Course in Stroke Care alongside the Core Competencies for Stroke
- report any recommendations to enable integration of the Core Competencies into the CHSS Introductory Course
- explore ways of implementing the Knowledge and Skills Framework (KSF) within CPD activities
- raise the awareness of the Core Competencies and the KSF
- explore opportunities for on–line learning
The project concluded in July 2008 and the final report (author Clare Adams) is available from
Project: 'STARs' (Stroke Training and Awareness Resources)
This project has developed an e–learning resource for health and social care staff to enable them to become more knowledgeable and skillful in the challenging area of stroke care. The resource is based on the Stroke Core Competencies.
Visit the STARs website
For further information of the project contact:
Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland
9 Haymarket Terrace
Tel: 0131 225 6963
Fran joined CHSS in 2010 as Project Coordinator for stroke4carers, a website for unpaid or informal stroke carers. She is now e-learning project manager for the CHSS e-learning resources including STARs, My Lungs My Life and Stroke4Carers. She previously worked as an Occupational Therapist in NHS Lothian specialising in stroke rehabilitation, care of the elderly and respiratory care.Back to top