You can help the person with communication difficulties by knowing how to support them in conversation:
- Reduce any background noise e.g. turn off TV, radio etc.
- Use short simple messages or key words
- Consider using yes/no questions
- Give the person plenty of time
- Recap regularly during the conversation to check they have understood
- Support your speech with appropriate gestures
- Always have a pen and paper available to write down or draw key information as you go along
- Use relevant resources to support the conversation e.g. photos, CHSS communication support book
You may get stuck. Always be honest if you haven’t understood. Acknowledge the difficulty and then decide if you are going to continue or try again later.
See 'Supporting communication' for more information.