Financial support

Living with a chest condition can have a major impact on your financial situation. It is important to make sure that you get all the help you need to prevent additional stress and anxiety. There is support available to help you access the information and complete any relevant forms.


You may be entitled to benefits that you are not aware of. Every individual's situation is different and it can be helpful to speak to your social worker, a welfare rights officer, Citizens Advice Bureau, local carers centre or a money advice centre. Benefits you,  or someone who cares for you,  may be entitled to include Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you are under 65, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Working Tax Credit and more.

Information about all benefits can be found at

There is also a lot of information and support available about self-directed support which gives you choice over your care if you need it. This can be found at

Personal Support Grants

CHSS also has a personal support grants programme to support those living with long-term chest, heart or stroke conditions and who are experiencing financial difficulty. This is to help fund part of any item or service which cannot be funded in full from other sources such as the NHS or social work departments. Applications must be made through a sponsor such as health professional or social worker.  Grant limits range from £350 - £750 although larger grants can be considered under special circumstances. Find further information on our Personal Support Grants page or by emailing or calling 0131 225 6963.

See the CHSS factsheet Financial Support (PDF) for more information on how to access the financial support you need or call the CHSS Advice Line nurses on 0808 801 0899.