There are no restrictions to driving if you have a long-term chest condition and there is no need to notify the DVLA unless you experience giddiness, or you faint or lose consciousness.

If you use oxygen, you should inform your car insurance provider that you are transporting oxygen cylinders or a concentrator. This should not affect insurance premiums, but it will ensure you are fully covered in the event of a claim.

Remember when you are travelling with oxygen in a private car:

  • Make sure that the person using oxygen and the driver both know how to use the oxygen equipment properly.
  • Use the equipment with the car ventilation system set to draw in fresh air from outside the car, or with a window partly wound down.
  • Do not allow anyone to smoke in the car.
  • Do not use the oxygen equipment whilst the car is being refuelled.

If your mobility is limited you may be entitled to apply for a disabled parking permit (Blue Badge). The Blue Badge scheme allows severely disabled people (travelling as a driver or passenger) to park in certain restricted areas, allowing you to get closer to where you need to go. To find out more or to apply for a Blue Badge if you live in Scotland, go to the government website www.mygov.scot/apply-blue-badge/ or contact your local authority.

You may also be eligible for a National Entitlement Card (bus pass). This will allow you to travel free on most bus services and on many longer journeys between Scottish cities. To find out more about this , and help with other forms of transport, go to www.mygov.scot/transport-help/.